Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Harvest Weekend

Harvest Holiday

This past weekend we took a trip up north to St.George and Paragonah. And by "we" I mean that Zach dropped me off in St. George for a little R&R with my two best friends from college (Megan and Melissa), and He took the kids up to his parents house in Paragonah.

Saturday I was..... Hiking around Zion with my gal pals




and almost getting killed by an Elk that was fenced in!


Meanwhile in the mountains near Paragonah,
Zach was going hunting with his dad,
his sister Riley and Lincoln


And the girls were having a good ol' time with Grandma Ginger!! Grandma gave Reagan a makeup box WITH makeup in it! I've never seen such glittery beautiful girls!


Sunday afternoon my friends dropped me off in Paragonah
(not before a few games of Yahtzee could be played)



on their way back to SLC, and I reunited with the fam. The kids had TONS of fun stories to tell me about the 30+ hours they had spent away from me. They always seem to have more fun when I'm not around (to stop them?).




Monday was "Harvest Day".
Harvest day is an official day off for those in school in Southern Utah. I guess it might be equivalent to NEVADA DAY here in Las Vegas. During the morning hunt I took the girls across the street to the playground. Of course we were the only ones there!
It was so nice outside and the girls had a blast.






Riley went to take her permit test (and passed! Way to go lady!) and we headed over to the fishing pond to catch a few fish.



Everyone caught their own fish, however not everyone wanted to touch theirs and throw them back. Lincoln had enough guts for everyone, so he did the dirty work.


Reagan getting as close as she can, by only POINTING to the fish.

McKinley was at least game to hold the line for the picture.

Lincoln liked to feed the ducks, and sometimes he liked to try and kill the ducks with rocks.
Here is a picture when he was being nice.
I tell ya, when it's hunting season, he has a hard time turning off the "kill" switch.



After fishing we stopped by Grandma Cora's house.
After a few Schwan's Ice cream treats we headed home for naps and clean up and MORE hunting.


Lincoln could honestly NOT GET ENOUGH. He doesn't complain at all about riding around for 5-10 hours at a time. Here are a few phrases that Zach told me about. I only wish he could have recorded them!

"I bet when other people drive by our truck they think 'there goes 3 hunters', but they're wrong. There's actually 4 hunters. ME. I'm the 4th one. But actually I'm like the biggest hunter in the truck because I don't just want to kill a deer, but I want to kill EVERYTHING"

Sobbing on their way home the last day.... "Dad, why can't mom just FLY home so we can stay and hunt more? Then when we finally kill a deer we can drive home and meet her there."

"Hit the deer with the TRUCK dad... NOW! Hit it! Hit it! Hit it!"

" I know, we can just make a cage. Then we can catch a male deer, and then next year when deer season comes along, we can just go the cage and shoot it!"

"Riley, it's okay if you shoot a spike...."


While I packed up shop and got ready for the hunters to come back home (sometime after sunset when you LEGALLY can't shoot anymore), Grandma Ginger kept the girls occupied by playing duck duck goose, and painting fingernails and toes! Side note: Reagan wants nothing to do with me when her Grandma is around. I can't take her to the bathroom, put her shoes on, or cut up her food. ALL SHE WANTS IS GRANDMA!!!


How did it all end? Did we have a good time? Well, you can hear for yourself. The kids pretty much summed it all up. I took this video a few minutes after we left Grandma and Grandpa Hulets house. I turned all the lights on inside the truck but you still couldn't see them. So I snapped a few still shots. Play the video and then scroll down through the pictures of the kids.




Yes, that's a tear streaming down Reagan's face onto her neck!




I had to laugh to keep from crying myself. We really feel lucky to have such wonderful friends and family!

15 comments:

MyOwnLittleCornerhttp://lovinnarobb.blogspot.com/ said...

This is the sweetest, most adorable, touching page I have ever seen. I have been through it three times and have to skip over the last part because I am crying right along with the pictures. I had the best weekend ever. You made my weekend so very happy. Isn't this the best reminder of what life really is all about. It is for me. Thank you so very much. I love you all and believe me I can't wait for another chance to be together.

The Simpson Family said...

Holy cow. that is so funny. The kids are gonna laugh at themselves latter on! SO cute, and I bet Grandma and Grandpa are lovin' it! P.S. It looks beautiful in UT, sorta(only a little ) makes me miss it.

Hibbard Family said...

its so bitter-sweet, the love for grandparents, and always so sad when you have to say goodbye. I'm so happy you had such a great weekend!!!

Alli Waldron said...

That is so funny! Lincoln seriously cracks me up. I can't wait for Vance to get older so Chad can share his hobbies with him.
Also, the pictures of your kids in the car is so funny. Kids really do LOVE their grandparents! I guess that's good - that means we can get a break!!!

Alli Waldron said...

I just watched that video of Lincoln's room - that is SO COOL! That is like the room every little dreams of! That is so awesome - way to go Zach!!!

Jon and Ashley said...

Livie is the same way with her grandma, I love it. Lincoln seems so much older than he is. I love that Zack has distorted his mind about hunting and killing. :) Just kidding.

Emily B said...

ALL of the kids crying at the end is hilarious. "I want Grandma." That's great that they love your families so much.

Pam Headlee said...

Thanks so much for the pics and prose. We feel so blessed to enjoy these experiences from 10,000 miles away. We are so proud of your wonderful family, of all our wonderful family. We are so happy serving in Africa and really appreciate a little taste of home from time to time. Hugs and kisses to all.

Susan May said...

Kate- It's Susan May (formerly Damaske) I often peek at your blog coming from Kimmy's. I had to comment on this one -- it was too cute and funny! My daughter is asking to see the kids cry again right now... :-) we understand how it is being far away from the Grandparents...

The Walkers said...

Oh my word, this is funny! I can't believe Lincoln and his THRILL for the GAME already...and I LOVE that he knows he is a hunter already! And I love the faces at the end! PRICELESS!

the Lola Letters said...

Wow, I am laughing out loud like a lunatic all by myself. You have the funniest kids on the planet. Unreal.

Calee Lou said...

Your kids are so cute and it is always fun to see them grow up. It was good to see everyone at the dinner. I love you guys and sorry I am not better at staying in touch. Hope all is well.

Khali said...

It looks like you all know how to live it up!!!

MyOwnLittleCornerhttp://lovinnarobb.blogspot.com/ said...

I just have to say you really know how to create an interesting blog. I just keep coming back to look at it again and again. The pictures of everyone are so interesting. You get the best expressions on peoples faces that it just makes me smile. Thank you again.

TuCk N JuLeS said...

With all the hunting you guys do, you need to move to WYOMING!