Sunday, February 22, 2009

Grocery Smarts: I had almost lost all hope


Total Cost: $181.79
Albertsons Savings: $81.41
Coupon Savings: $67.30
Total Out Of Pocket: $33.08
Percentage of Savings: 82%


It has been 8 weeks since the Grocery Smarts class was held at my house. That night I signed up for 3 papers ($85) and have been getting them since 1-18-09. So I've had 6 weeks worth of coupons buring a hole in my binder, and until Friday, I had saved ZERO, NADA, NOTHIN with coupons. I was feeling totally ripped off. Great, another scam. The most disappointing thing was thinking about how excited I had been. And that excitement had DEFINITELY dwindled down to almost nothing. Then, hope was restored.

Albertsons had some killer deals this week and I SCORED! I almost threw up before I walked in. Infact, if it hadn't been for my sister Rachelle INSISTING that I go, I would have bailed. She came over to my house, insisted on watching all my kids and kept yelling at me to go. I was SO NERVOUS. I know that I definetly have disorder, but coupons can't solve that problem. It didn't help that I was going at 5:15... grocery store rush hour, either!

So ... the deals were "buy 10 items at $1.50 and get $10 back at the register towards your next purchase" or "buy 10 items at $2.00 and get $10 back at the register towards your next purchase". So when I walked in I got 4 gray baskets and put them inside of my shopping cart. I'm sure I looked ridiculous! And I didn't care. I put 10 of the $1.50 times in 4 baskets (so 40 items) and then 10 items that were $2.00 in my shopping cart, and then around $10 worth of OTHER groceries in the front part of the cart where kids usually sit. (I did this so I could group the items with like items that I had to purchase in groups of 10. I must have recounted each basket 5 times! I was so nervous!)

I got to a register, waited my turn, then annoyed a ton of other customers and probably the cashier. I put all the baskets up and put dividers between them. I had her run the first purchase through, and tried finding all my coupons. Sweating and nervous I waited... and it worked! First purchase done and I had a $10 off next purchase coupon in my hand. I decided it would be easier if I went through and put the coupons that belonged with each item, in the basket with the item. I should have taken a picture! It was smooth. I did this 6 times in a row. Buying 10 things, getting a coupon for $10 off, and using on the NEXT purchase! This was my final result.

8 Packages of Grand Biscuits
3 Packages of Grand Cinnamon Rolls
6 Betty Crocker Warm Delights (all of them free!)
7 Betty Crocker SUPREME Brownie Mixes
8 Progresso Soups
8 Betty Crocker Cookie Mixes
3 Betty Crocker Frostings
2 Bacon Bits
4 Toaster Strudels
3 Mentos Gum
2 Salad Dressings
3 Bagged Lettuce
1 Package of Straws
1 Powdered Sugar
1 Soup at Hand

The bolded items were not part of the (big 10) deal, but they were items that were a 4 or 5 star deal and almost all of them had a coupon as well. They were items I needed (gum was a want but was super cheap with coupon) and I used my final $10 off coupon to pay for the final transaction and was DONE at ALBERTSONS! I felt like I was on drugs! I practically floated to the van. I couldn't wait to get home and show Rachelle and take a picture.

So the bottom line. I saved $67.30 with coupons in this one week. Even if this only happens every 6 weeks, I will have saved the price I paid for the papers plus more! I know this isn't the norm. But it does happen in cycles and I hope that another one comes sooner than 6 weeks :)

11 comments:

Erin said...

WOW! i love coupons when they're for things i actually use! that's awesome!

Emilee said...

WOW!!! You totally scored! I'll have to go with you next time- I get nervous doing stuff like that but using the 4 baskets in your shopping cart was a BRILLIANT idea!

Monaca said...

Awesome!! I have been so overwhelmed with life, I haven't been able to really pay attention to my coupons... I am bummed I missed killer deals.

Hibbard Family said...

I agree, this has been the best deal yet. I felt like I practically stole from Albertson's last week. You are so smart to have the divider. I just have them in different corners of the cart getting nervous that I miscounted too!!! like that grocery store natzi is going to come and find you and kick you out! haha! way to go :)

Alison Carter said...

So cool! I gotta learn these coupon tricks one of these days.

Diane Jaggi said...

Lots of junk food - it is a good thing you have a SKINNY little butt!

genevievepelissie said...

Wow - how great to catch up on the Headlee and Hulet families! Looks like Vegas is the hot spot for many of you. :) I just sent you an invite to our blog in case you want to see what's up with us. Stuck in Provo, but loving my boys, life is great. :) Take care!

MyOwnLittleCornerhttp://lovinnarobb.blogspot.com/ said...

OK so tonight on the news they talked about a shopping thing that started here in Utah that is like what you do. They have it in NV as well. It is called Pinching you Pennies. I looked it up. Take a look and see what you think. K? K. good shopping see you soon.

Susan May said...

Hi Kate!

I admire your dedication :-) I also love to see your "junk" finds... Thanks for the comments on my blog! I am feeling good now -- I was tired and nauseous in the first trimester but didn't actually get sick ever.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You did great! Please let me know if you have any questions!!!

Mary B said...

Okay - do you still buy diapers or are all your kids potty-trained? If you need diapers there is a great Huggies coupon at Coupon.com $3/1 huggies. And at Walgreens,(at least in utah) they have a diaper sale $4.50 for a Walgreens jumbo pack(great diapers!) all sizes!