Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"Aunt"-tivity Bag


Last year for Christmas, my brother Christian and his wife Amy drew our names for the gift exchange. Amy, so craftily, made each of my kids a monogrammed activity bag for church. This was the PERRRRRRRRRRR-fect gift! My kids LOVE them. They were filled with age appropriate games and activities. A cloth Mr. Potato Head, magnet shapes, Hide N Seek, coloring pages, stickers, a composition notebook, and crayons to name a few.


Last week Zach had a funny conversation with McKinley on his way to church. (LONG SIDE NOTE: He had them all up, dressed, fed, and out the door by 8:03 which is amazing for ANYONE who has kids and 8am church. It's even more amazing b/c he did it without my help! I've been keeping Jefferson home until he's a little older to be able to handle the germs. I'm crazy about keeping newborns home for at least 6 weeks if not more... that is why I've been M.I.A for so long... if you were wondering.) So anyway... this was the conversation he had with McKinley.

McKinley: I love my Aunt-tivity bag. It has an M on it. Because it's mine. M is for McKinley"

Zach: Your ACTIVITY bag?

McKinley: NO DAD! It's called and AUNT-TIVITY BAG. Because my AUNT made it.

Zach: Oh, ok. Well I'm glad you like your aunt-tivity bag.

For the past YEAR she has been calling it her aunt-tivity bag and we didn't even know it! I swear we aren't unobservant parents. It just sounds SO similar... especially when she says it so fast!



This is a Mr. Potato Head that Amy sewed. She made one for McKinley and Reagan. She is SO talented. The sad thing for me is... that I grew up with a mother who would "sew like the wind" (name the movie for some bonus points). She made P.J's, prom dresses, baptism dresses, matching polka dot dresses for me and my sisters, costumes, table toppers, quilts, bags... you name it... she would sew it. And guess what... I can't sew to save my LIFE. Ok, that's a lie... I can sew scrunchies. You know... you used to use them to put your hair in a ponytail. I would make matching "team scrunchies" for my basketball team in Jr High and High School.

So Amy, has taught herself (interesting concept), and taught herself well! Recently she helped me out by sewing a few crib sheets for Jefferson. She SWEARS the crib sheet is SO easy. So if your sick of spending $10-$15 on crib sheets, let me know... I'll have her teach a class or something! She's amazing. Period. End of story.

2 comments:

Mary B said...

This amazing idea is officially stolen. Thank you very much. love ya!

Emily B said...

I totally know how to sew scrunchies too! And that's it! I also have a mom who is a great sewer, and I never learned how to do it.