April/May 2011
The Green Goblins
Lincoln played an organized sport for the first time this spring. Soccer!! It was SO exciting! I had contemplated signing him up after finding a note on my nightstand one morning. Lincoln, in such Lincoln-style, had written me a letter and taped it to my phone (because he KNEW I would find it), that said
Mom,
Could you please sign me up for baskitball, karaty, or socer ? Or can we do boredom busters?
Love, Firstborn
I wrote him back and told him we could do boredom busters. This was a concept Zach came up with last fall and it consisted of a variety of activities that happened every Thursday afternoon/evening. Some of the activities were fishing, rock climbing, rocket launching... you get the idea. We were going to invite some friends to participate. Make t-shirts. Have a grand time...

However, a week before the soccer season began, my sister (who was the coach for her almost 8 year old son) called me and told me they had an opening. When I relayed the message to Lincoln he almost jumped out of his skin with excitement. So we decided to give soccer a go and put B. B on the back burner. 8 weeks!!! Holy Smokes!
Practices were on Wednesdays up in Summerlin (about 20 minutes away). But, if I was able to drop Lincoln off at my sisters house on time every week, she would take him back and forth to practice, then I could pick him back up from her house. This was a tremendous help! Games were Saturday mornings at the same location. The games were around 9am, and since Zach worked, it was just me and the kiddos, packing up, and heading out! My girls really did love going. And for some crazy reason our spring was SO mild. There were only 2 Saturdays that were a little hot for my liking. So that was us. On a blanket, in a chair, enjoying our Saturdays outside watching Lincoln play!
He was so cute to watch. He would get all nervous when the ball would start coming in his general direction. And when the ball was on the opposite end of the field... he was happy checkin out the grass, or talking to his cousin (see picture above).
{Halftime: Drinks, snacks & shade}
I can't remember at what age I started playing summer soccer. It was crazy to see some kids who had been playing since they were 4! With a fall and spring season, some kids could have played 7 more seasons than Lincoln! By the end of the season he had definitely improved and was sad to see it all end. I don't know how people manage sports schedules with more than one kid! It was SO fun, and I want Lincoln to be able to participate in things like this... but it really made life crazy for a while.
1 comment:
I love that he signed his letter "Firstborn". What a cute kid.
Post a Comment