Monday, April 13, 2009

A Day Late!

Today was a HUGE day in our house. That's right. You are looking at the FIRST of MANY (hopefully) eggs that will be deposited in one of our chickens nesting boxes. The chickens (after recalculation) are 16 1/2 weeks old. We've known for a while that the time to expect their first eggs were anywhere between 16 and 20 weeks of age. So we were totally elated to find an egg in the middle nesting box today. Weeks ago, we all placed bets on when the first egg would come. Zach had picked the last day in March. Lincoln had picked Zach's birthday... March 28th, and I had picked April 14th! I can't believe it! It was such a great way to start our week!




Long Version:
Zach came stopped by at 9am this morning after leaving a nearby cabinet job. He just popped in to say hi and check in on Reagan (who woke up screaming bloody murder in the middle of the night). He was about to leave when I asked him a question about the breaker box. So we went outside and when he was showing me the switch we could hear a chicken cluckin' a little loud. We went over to check it out and ALL of the chickens were in the chicken run EXCEPT one. This one louder chicken was moving all over the hen house acting kinda funny and finally settled in a nesting box (we have 3). I said " I wonder if she's trying to lay an egg" to Zach. He agreed that COULD be the case, so we gave her some privacy and checked back a few minutes later, but there wasn't anything. She was still cluckin like crazy, but we just chalked it up to crazy chickens and called it good. Well 2 hours later, I go out to the box to turn on a breaker and I thought... what the heck! I'll look in the house. And when I opened the door, I started screaming! I couldn't believe it! I had almost convinced myself that our hens were sterile and would never lay eggs! I went inside and told Lincoln that a chicken had been EXTRA loud outside, and so he ran out and found the egg! He was SO excited to call SO many people! It ws so cute to hear him explain over and over how HE found the egg. Picked it up. Washed it off. And was SO brave! Reagan has already claimed the right to get the next egg! So far that one egg has only cost us a little over $100! I'll let you know when we break even :)

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Now I'm super excited because our red hen has been REALLY loud this morning. I'll be checking the nesting box every five minutes. We'll call you if we find anything!

Susan May said...

I loved this story!! Too funny. And it sounds like you had a GREAT couple of Birthdays and times with the family. I don't know how you do it all!!