I do miss the few family members who are still there, but now, almost all my siblings are WEST BABY (and lovin' it)!
I L.O.V.E.D growing up there! It really was amazing! Even this picture of my old house makes me a little homesick! There were 7-10 kids, 2 adults and the "big yellow house" (that was the directions you would give someone when they were driving to pick you up). This was our 4 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom house with a cellar. NOT BASEMENT... cellar. Cold, dark, damp, and sometimes rodent infested. But the house had character right? For a while it didn't have air conditioning, and the heating system was shotty. It had a cupola (the cute little top of the house that was either stifling hot or FREEZING COLD) that we only used for storage of suitcases but sometimes we would sneak up there to play. Narrow staircases. Plaster walls. Windows from the 1800's (that would break if a bouncy ball hit them). But it sat on 13 acres! It's really weird to think that we lived on Main Street, almost directly across the street from the High School, but there was 13 acres! Granted the FRONT of the property that was facing the street was probably only 1/2 acre wide, but if you walked behind the house you could walk for ages (that's what it seemed like) before you were on someone else's land, and even then it was just that... LAND. In less than a minute you could have complete privacy! There were 2 fields that we used to camp in and ride go karts through, that my parents developed later on and built their "Dream House". Of course this FINALLY happened when only 2 kids were living at home and they didn't actually NEED the 6,000 square feet. So they sold it 2 years ago and are now on a service mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
There are at least 3 feet of reasons that I'm glad to not be living there! And NO, we didn't have a snow blower or plow. That's why you have 10 kids... CHEAP LABOR!
I like NY! I really do. I just love Las Vegas, especially in its 115 degree glory in July! (But the 50 degree winters aren't bad either!!)

4 comments:
What a fun house! I can't wait to hear about your trip when you get back!
Raise your hand if your first kiss with a Headlee occurred right there on that porch. There must be at least 20 of us (five for each Headlee girl, that is).
What I wouldn't give to live in that snow for a few days now!!! This Africa heat is killing me! I loved that house....so glad you did, too!
What a beautiful home to have grown up in. I love it!
Post a Comment