Sunday, September 18, 2011

A High Five With The Devil

Tonight was a crazy night. I just have to document it for future reference and for sanity.

We had a good, uneventful sabbath morning. Got ready. Went to church. Ate lunch. Zach went to a meeting while the rest of us visited my brother and his wife who live a stones throw away.

The kids had been progressively getting crazier and crazier every hour that passed... but I figured they'd hit a "wall" sooner or later and crash into deep sleep or something. I had started a few projects and let the kids join in. PAINTING is their favorite thing to do... so I tried to be as relaxed as possible... and allow them to have fun while painting instead of nagging them about drips, too much paint, spills and messes. By dinner time I had HAD IT! The cute family bonding time had passed and they were at it again: Making annoying noises, teasing each other, playing tag in the house,fake screaming (as if someone had hit them). Even after a 20 minute break in the back yard, (so I cook make dinner in peace and quiet) they were still WIRED!

More than once, with more than one child, I almost sent them to bed without finishing their dinner. I just kept trying to talk myself into a calm state of mind. After another round of sassy mouths went off... I sent them upstairs to brush their teeth and I revoked our story time privilege for the night. I gave them 4 minutes to brush their teeth and return downstairs to read scriptures and say family prayer.

15 minutes later... while I was trying to do the dishes I could hear MAJOR rumbling and tumbling upstairs. I scaled my stairs silently... although I was taking them two at a time... and ran into my bathroom to catch Lincoln with a HAND FULL OF TOOTHPASTE. He couldn't have looked more like a deer caught in headlights if he had TRIED!!! I have no idea what he was about to do... but I didn't waste a minute trying to find out. I sent them (dirty teeth and all) to bed. NO scriptures. NO prayer. NO hug & kiss. As I shut off each one of their lights and then marched downstairs to finish cleaning the kitchen I could see Satan standing at the bottom with his hand extended out towards me... looking for my high-five. "Way to go Kate! You did EXACTLY what I wanted you to do! You fell for it. ALL of it! How does it feel to be such a sucker for contention???"

Yeah... I'm switching teams tomorrow. Tonight was no fun. And Vegas is hot enough... I don't need to get any closer to Hell.

3 comments:

Samye said...

I totally understand where you are coming from....it must have been in the air (all the way from Vegas). And of all the people I know you are by far one of the most patient moms I know- so I am sure you did try your best (which is by far more than most other moms would do). The best part is that tomorow is a new day and you can start all over again (hopefully that is good news?)

Emily B said...

I had a similar night last night. I love your perspective on it with Satan. That's exactly what I'm going to think about whenever I start to freak out at my kids. And by the way, I'm sure you didn't react half as bad as you think you did. We're our own worst critics.

Susan May said...

Kate-

I have thought of this post often since reading it a while ago. I love your imagery of the devil and the high-five... parenting is tough sometimes...

dealing with frustration is definitely a huge part of parenthood (well I guess with being human in general... but parenthood seems to kick it up a notch!) You and your kids are amazing...

lots of love!